Saturday, August 4, 2012

The Starter

My wife and I went away for a weekend to a five star resort not far from our house.  We absolutely love this resort.  The people are always very kind and you can rest assured you will have a fantastic time, eat amazing food and enjoy the spectacular scenery as you are nestled in the lap of luxury.

I went for a walk Friday afternoon.  I intentionally headed for the golf course as this resort hosts three championship courses.  I walked to the starter building on the first hole.  The morning had been beautiful and still.  The afternoon was extremely windy as the air was swept down to the resort located at the base of the Rocky Mountains. I stood behind the starter building to block the wind.  As I stood there the starter asked me if I needed anything.  I told him I was just there watching people tee off and enjoying the scenery.  He engaged the golfers checking in to start their round and then came back to talk to me.

Kenneth is a gentlemen in his mid 50's.  His big, beautiful, very white, engaging smile was contrasted against his black skin.  Kenneth managed the park departments for several cities.  Each of the cities ran into financial difficulties and the parks budget was one of the first to get cut.  Kenneth is very active in his church and has served in many leadership and teaching capacities.  His wife battled cancer for several years and Kenneth served her lovingly and tenderly throughout her illness. They were divorced after being married for over 20 years.  Kenneth has two children.  One is studying in college and the other is serving time in prison.  Kenneth was visibly bothered with the turn in the conversation and I could tell the conversation pained him.  "I told him there are two kinds of systems in this world, one you control and the other that controls you.  Unfortunately, he is now with the one that controls him." Never quite thought of it that way before.  Thankfully, never had to think about it before.

As I reflected on all the difficulties and heartaches that Kenneth told me about his life, I was a little reluctant to ask the question, "Kenneth, what is like being you?"  I was surprised and rebuked.

"Every morning I wake up I thank God for another day and wonder what person I am going to have the privilege of serving today", his beautiful smile matched by the brightness in his eyes.  He went on to tell me how the Lord orchestrated each of his career moves and how he clearly sees the hand of the Lord in all of it.  He had always wanted to get back to the city he was now living in and the Lord had made that possible.  He raised his children to be God fearing people and the Lord is still working in their lives.  The lessons he tried to teach his children are still being taught to them today, just by someone else. My soul rejoiced as our conversation continued.

What a pleasure to meet Kenneth.  He obviously has had a difficult life and yet has maintained an excellent Christian testimony.  Kenneth, although his troubles no where near having the troubles of Job, continues to glorify God with his life and praise.

It was a pleasure to spend time with you on Friday, Kenneth.  Thank you for your testimony and friendship.  I sincerely hope our paths cross again. In fact, I know they will.


No comments:

Post a Comment